2.13.2013

Facebookless

Day 1:

Romans 14:7-8
7 For none of us lives for himself and none dies for himself.
8 If we live, we live for the Lord; if we die, we die for the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

It's Ash Wednesday and I woke up just expecting the day to be the usual Ash Wednesday. I planned to attend mass but was not sure where. Then it was almost noon time that I felt lazy to go to church. Plus after reading the daily gospel, I was enlightened that I do not have to have that ash crossed on my forehead. The important thing is that I know the meaning of the start of lent. So I figuratively crossed my forehead for a commitment of penance this Lent season.

But God is marvelous, just awesome. Since I got lazy to go to church and attend the Holy Eucharist, He brought the church to me. I mean, there was a schedule mass in our office at 12:15. I bet God would would have told me "now you have no excuse my dear".

I ate lunch first, together with my lunch ladies mindful of no meat fasting. It was homily already when we arrived at the mass - glad I had my daily readings already.

Fasting, Prayer and Almsgiving are the 3 important things discussed like the previous Ash Wednesdays. We fast not for us to get thinner but for us to value sacrifice. We pray not for us to as blessing but to repent and ask for mercy and forgiveness. We give alms not to show off we have money and that we're generous but to learn how to be selfless. That's how I understood the homily.

Then the priest started sharing what he sacrificed for fasting before and for a moment I was thinking what's mine.

Out of the blue, Facebook logo appeared in my thoughts. Oh Nooo!!! Facebook has been my company for this lonely life. Oh No! How will I tell my friends about SFC ICON, about my trip to Baguio or my trip to Ilocos. Oh no! As I resisted the thought, a part of me was embracing it.

Much to my surprise, I even asked my friend Kim to watch over me as I fast Facebook. oh no! I have to stand for this. Maybe I needed that. There were many thoughts but I settled, 40 days without Facebook for the Glory of God.

He even affirmed during Communion, at the time I am in front of the priest, he timed out to get mire Eucharistic host and since we were only few left, He gave both the symbol of the blood and body of Christ. God's really working there for me.

Then after the mass, perhaps he sees why Im into Facebook is because I want to share, he give me this thought of writing this off. My 40-day Facebookless journey. My 40-day journey with God. This is for the Glory of God.

I posted one last status message before deactivating my account. "You alone are my heart's desire and I long to worship you. Purify my heart Lord so that I may glorify you."

Facebook was deactivated temporarily.


Things to post in FB:
Ash Wednesday forehead photo

Haven't packed my things yet for tomorrow's light when I used to do this at least a week before my trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment