7.26.2011

Reposting: Solar Halo in Cebu

Solar Halo in Cebu: When I Reached Home

May 7, 2010 around 12 noon, a friend texted me about a rainbow around the sun. I was able to read his message but I was very pre occupied as it was also the time that I reached our home in Borbon after almost five months. So I was really busy playing mith nephews and nieces and neglected the text though I read it but it did not sink in me.

I graduated Applied Physics and though I am not really a great physicist, I do love astronomy and the beauty of it. So when the thought finally sank in during the evening, I realized "what The!" I missed that scene. Yeah, I missed that BIG TIME. As In. Well, I guess I just have to move on and forget it. What happened happens. :)

So, I did some research on the said event, solar halo. It is said to be an optical phenomenon produced by ice crystals creating colored or white arcs and spots in the sky. This is due to light being reflected and refracted by the ice crystals and may split up into colors because of dispersion. The crystals behave like prisms and mirrors sending shafts of light in particular directions. Well, I'll not go on this post discussing about optics. That was basically it.

Being a scientist, I believe that was simply a scientific phenomenon and nothing more but as an optimistic individual plus a devout Christian I can't resist to believe that it was a vindication from above for the first automated election of our country, the Philippines that happened 3 days  after the appearance of Solar halo and I'm convinced because although the election really was not at all smooth but overall I can say it was successful, peaceful and hopefully, this is the start of a BETTER Philippines. I may sound like some super optimistic citizen but really there's no harm in trying. I believe the solar halo was something good.


xoxo
ROseHYAcinth

No comments:

Post a Comment